While I was searching for quality wood cutting boards to replace my old, beaten up plastic board, I stumbled upon this beautiful walnut wood cutting board from Virginia Boys Kitchens on Amazon. If it isn’t obvious by their name, this board and the company is made and located not too far from where we live! In other words, made right here in the USA.
I wanted to go for a wood cutting board for both holistic and aesthetic reasons. We’re slowly transitioning to all natural materials around our home, but that’s proving to be harder living with someone with multiple chemical sensitivity. Not everything all-natural is going to sit well in that case. For instance, bamboo and pine and essential oils are just some of the examples of natural materials that we avoid around here. It’s not a problem for everyone, but it certainly is for a very small population of people.
In the video below, I talk about how this cutting board is superior in many ways to the bamboo cutting board I picked up on a whim to replace my old plastic chopping board. I list the pros and cons below.
Close-up photo of the dip on the rims of the board to catch juices from the food you’re chopping:
Bamboo cutting board:
- Usually sourced from China
- Smell is very strong and does not go away easily, if it even does go away
- Sold everywhere and easily bought when you need it right away
- Naturally anti-bacterial
- Lighter weight
Walnut cutting board:
- Made in the USA
- Light pleasant smell and goes away when washed and used
- More expensive
- Heavier but more substantial
- Choose from different sizes and shapes (Mine is the 17×11 rectangular)
- Catches juices on the side
- Needs to be seasoned with wax (I used coconut oil)