As the weather starts to get warmer, you can feel Summer is coming fast. Memories of sipping Sprite with a twisty straw by the poolside are evoked at this sunny time, and your taste buds beg for a draught of that sugary carbonated drink.
Alas, you’ve gone Paleo. You’re never going back. Yet you wish you could recreate your favorite pre-Paleo foods, but they’re all too complicated and they just don’t taste the same.
You’re in luck. This Sprite approximation is the real deal. Kid tested and approved. With only three main ingredients, you can keep making this drink over and over with very little effort and time/money spent. You try it, and just can’t believe Coca-Cola made millions out of something so simple and easily made, yet succeeded in making it so unhealthy!
Get out your favorite fancy glass and cocktail umbrella toothpicks, because this one’s going to be good.
This recipe is paleo, vegan, low carb, and gluten and sugar free.
Here’s what you need.
- 1 glass of carbonated mineral water (or make your own with a carbonated drink maker). Choose a brand that has glass bottles and nothing else but mineral water in the ingredients. We like Pelegrino.
- 3 slices of organic lemon/lime
- 1-2 measuring scoops (1/80th tsp) of 100% organic Stevia extract powder. We use SweetLeaf.
- A dash of pink or Himalayan salt (optional) or Real Salt. We use the latter.
Here’s all you need to do.
- Chill carbonated water in fridge until cool.
- Squeeze lemon/lime in glass. You can use a lemon squeezer to keep seeds from getting in your drink.
- Add Stevia and salt.
- Mix/stir thoroughly until there are no obvious globs of Stevia visible.
- You can make a whole batch of this drink ahead of time, change the sweetness, by playing around with the recipe to suit your taste.
- If you do change the recipe, it’s better to start with just a little bit of Stevia at a time. Stevia can taste very bitter in excess, so you might end up ruining your drink if you put in too much.
Let me know how this goes and if this recipe does it for you! If you have a better version, let me know that too. Enjoy the weather and hydrate with flavor with this guilt-free drink!